Monday, May 4, 2015

strange things

this week.... was a little rough. Sometimes Heavenly Father gives us trials and we don't know why and it's just life. Sadly, I have a lot of stories this week that might not be following me home, ever. Sister Austin and I are keeping our heads up though. We are working hard to see the purpose in our trials and figure everything out.

to answer my mother's questions:
-I will try jump roping
-We are still feeling things out with our one investigator. We are not teaching her right now, but we'll be calling her up sometime this week in order to see if things are good and if she still wants to be taught.
-public school busses count as public transportation
-Church ends at two (here in sweden) so I'll be skyping runt omkring 4 or 5ish depending on the situation. I'll try my best to keep you updated if anything changes. We probably won't be calling via phone, so watch for the skype

COOL STORIES
1) we taught the biggest group of primary kids I have ever seen here in Sweden. A whopping 15 children!!! A family was blessing their baby and they decided to come and do it here in Karlskrona, the branch where they grew up. SO they invited EVERYONE. And it was so much fun! But, oh my goodness I think I'm gonna have to learn the word for "reverent" in Swedish if I ever have to teach primary again.
2) VALBORG. This week there was a traditional Swedish holiday called Valborg (vall-bori) and it was my first red-day. We were supposed to be with members or in our apartment because the way Valborg is celebrated is by lighting GIANT BONFIRES symbolic of burning witches that cast spells in the summer. It was. so. cool. We spent the day with some members and they invited us over for a campfire and dinner. We got a little rained out but it was still super fun :)
3) I ate MOOSE MEAT this week. We were visting teaching with Lina and we were at Joanna's house (she's the relief society president) and we made dinner with her. She pulls out this interesting lump of kött and tells us that it's going to be the main dish. Moose. It was pretty good actually.

UPLIFTING MOMENTS
1) I have only one significant uplifting moment this week and I can't even share all the details. I'm just going to say that I know that this Church is true. I may not have all the information. I may not understand why we have certain commandments. But I KNOW that Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet for this day. He is leading and directing the Church under direct guidance from Jesus Christ. God will not allow his prophet to EVER lead us astray. I know that God hears my prayers and answers them. I know he has a plan for me and for the people here in Karlskrona. He watches over all of his children and he knows all of us personally. I know there's a reason for me to be here in Sweden right now. Sometimes I feel like Sister Austin and I are completely alone in our beliefs, but it doesn't even matter. Because we know together. And we have Christ on our side. D&C 6:32-34  "Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you. Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward. Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail." I am holding on to those last words with everything I have. I may not understand everything the way I want to right now, but I am built on Christ.

New Place: This super pretty forest behind a member's house. We celebrated Valborg here and it was kind of awesome

CHALLENGE
stay off the internet for a whole 24 hours. Turn off the data on your phone. Shut down the computer. Don't listen to your ipod. Take some time to just be. Don't worry about what's happening with twitter or instagram or facebook. I know the weather is nice over there, grandma keeps telling me that it's sunny, so go have some fun outside or something. You could even celebrate Valborg. Tell me how all of it goes :)

love you all! don't worry about me! have a great week!
puss puss, syster janessa brink

på väg till festen!

enjoying the valborg festivities



No comments:

Post a Comment