Monday, November 30, 2015

everybody loves the church

hey guys! 

I don't have tons of time today because our branch mission leader is taking us out sight seeing. I'm excited to see more of sweden :) 

first off, happy anniversary to my parents! 

this last week has been a blast! we have been pretty busy and we just love it. We've taught so much restoration that I can't even handle it. It's been really good though, cuz i just love studying JS-History. 

We had thanksgiving with some members! We also ate a thanksgiving lunch with the district. I thought I was going to explode, it was so much food. But it was all really good! it was fun to go around the table and talk about the things we are thankful for, and explain to the kids what thanksgiving even is (they don't have it here in sweden, so it's always good talking to them about the pilgrims and the indians.)

workovers with the sister training leaders this week! we were expecting them on saturday but they came on friday instead! I had a lot of fun with sister Irene, and we got a lot of stuff done. We went to the university library to meet one of our more promising potential investigators. After calling him and texting him, he tried to explain what part of the library he was at. We sent him a picture of where we were and he called us a few moments later.
"are you guys in sundsvall?"
"yes"
"I'm in Umeå."
Umeå is 3 hours away. We had a good laugh and referred him to the Umeå elders. Hahaha :)

Friday night we also had one of the Elder's investigators stop by and drop off thanksgiving dinner to all of us. You heard that right. I had like 3 thanksgivings this week! I'm thankful for stuffing. I can't seem to get enough of it. 

Remember how last week I mentioned a couple of persian speaking guys that randomly came to church? We taught them this week. Their names are Farhan and Bakhtiar (good luck on the pronunciation) and they are awesome. We sat down with them, Armin, and Shirin. They don't have much of a background concerning Jesus Christ. So we established that with them and started into the restoration lesson. We got to the apostasy and realized that an hour and a half had already passed, and we still had at least an hour left in order to teach them everything (that's what happens with translation, lessons take a while). We asked if they would like to stay and continue learning or if they'd like to wait until the next time we met to hear the rest. They looked at us and said, "we'd really like to stay." So after a 10 minute stretch and bathroom break, everyone was back at the table to talk some more. I got to share the first vision, which is one of my favorite things to do with a language barrier. I love it because when you share it the first time, they don't understand what you're saying, but they FEEL it. And they pay attention to that feeling so much more than those that do understand what you are saying. And then they wait eagerly to hear what it was that made them feel that way. That's what happened with Farhan and Bakhtiar. They mentioned that while I recited the first vision they felt something, and they really liked it. Farhan came to church yesterday, Bakhtiar wasn't able to make it. But then both of them came to the christmas concert we had. 

Speaking of the Christmas concert, holy cow our branch is SO talented. I had no idea. We have so many singers and just straight up gifted people here. And we had an AMAZING turn out. The entire chapel was filled, mostly with non-members, and it was remarkable! 

Well, that's all for this week! I'm excited to hear from you guys next week! I got a call from the mission president yesterday that I'd be training up here in Sundsvall, so pray for me and my new greenie ;) I'll be picking her up in about a week and a half. 

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
-syster janessa brink





No comments:

Post a Comment